Policies and Procedures
Comment Moderation Policy 2014-2015
- Any comment including the personal information (phone number, personal email address, physical address, etc.) of parties involved or The West Georgian staff will be removed.
- Any comment posted by The West Georgian staff members will be removed.
- Any comment involving advertisement for other corporations, organizations, or businesses (i.e. spam) will be removed.
- Any comment unrelated to the posted article or item will be removed.
- Any direct personal attacks on individuals involved will be removed. Examples: “The author is a drunkard”, “Everyone hates Person Involved, go die”, etc.
- Any comment involving criticism (constructive or otherwise) of The West Georgian policy or writing will be reported to the Editor-in-Chief and Web Editor for documentation and approval at the Editor-in-Chief’s discretion.
- All individuals who post comments should be familiar with our disclaimer, which reads as follows: The West Georgian reserves the right to delete any comment that we find libelous, invades privacy, or otherwise impinges on media law concerns. We welcome your comments and thoughts on our articles. All comments go through The West Georgian website student administrators before they are published to the website.
- If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Note that student editors are responsible for all content on the The West Georgian website.
- Comments over three paragraphs in length will be removed. Any commentary longer than three paragraphs must be submitted to the The West Georgian in a letter to the editor.
- Excessive comments pertaining to other comments (“comment wars”) are prohibited and will be removed at Editor-in-Chief and/or Web Editor discretion.
Internet takedown notice
The West Georgian has the right to deny or approve any requests of takedown notices. When The West Georgian receives a takedown notice, it is in our best interest not to challenge it, but to make sure the article or video is free of libel. If it is not clear that infringement, or libelous behavior is taking place, the website will not be held liable. If the statements made in a video or articles are false, misleading or inaccurate, The West Georgian will print a retraction. However if the statements, quotes or additional information is confirmed true, the article or video will remain on the website.
Takedown requests should include information of the service provider (The West Georgian) such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an electronic mail address at which the complaining party may be contacted. This is supported by Section 512 (i)(1)(a) of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. (http://www.ssrn. com/dmca_notice_policy.html)
The West Georgian, copyright 2013, is an official publication of the University of West Georgia. Opinions expressed herein are those of the newspaper staff or individual authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the university faculty or staff.
Letter Submission Policy
The West Georgian welcomes letters to the editor. Letters may be mailed to: The West Georgian, University of West Georgia, Carrollton, GA, 30118 or sent via email to email@example.com.
All letters must be signed and include a phone number and mailing address for verification purposes. Letters should not exceed 350 words and should be submitted by 12 a.m. the Friday before publication. Editors reserve the right to edit for style, content and length.